Saturday, December 6, 2014

A German Stormbird: Me 262 A2a 'Sturmvogel'


Hello there! I want to show you my early christmas presents: the Sd Kfz 234 and the German Stormbird, Me 262 Sturmvogel. Both are from Battlefront.


But for the main thing in this article is to show you a step by step guide on painting 'scribble' camouflage pattern used by some reconnaissance squadrons. The reference I'm using is from Battlefronts article "Stormbirds: The Messerschmitt Me 262 'Sturmvogel'".

For the color I'm using the once mentioned in the article: Vallejo Brown Violet 887, Luftwaffe Camo Green 823, Pale Grey Blue 907 and for the basecoat I'm using Light Grey 990.

Light Grey 990 added
First of course I had to clean up the model which was very easy as there was very few flash.

Then it was time to start with the painting. I first made a moderate brushing with Light Grey 990 to get a light surface where to add rest of the colors.


I then painted the whole model with Pale Grey Blue 907. This will give me an even lighter base from where to start and it will also serve as the under side of the plane.

Pale Grey Blue 907 added

The next step was to add uneven curvy lines of Brown Violet 887 and Luftwaffe Camo Green 823 to the top side of the plane. For this stage I used a drybrush with a moderate amount of paint on it. Intension was to leave some spots with Pale Grey Blue 907 visible.

For some stupid reason I wasn't paying enough attention to my reference pictures here as there seems to be a coat of Middlestone under the camouflage. I fixed this by drybrushing some Middlestone over the already painted camouflage but leaving some still visible. I then repainted the camouflage using Temperas size 3 brush and doing a mixture of curved lines.

After this I fixed some mistakes made during camouflaging stage on the underside of the fuselage with Pale Grey Blue 907. Then it was time to add some wash to the recess, for this I used Citadels Nuln Oil and Temperas size 3 brush.

Finally I did the markings, bombs and the canopy. For the markings I used Vallejos Black and Citadels Red Gore. The canopy was also painted black. I tried to do some reflection lines but wasn't satisfied in the result. The bombs were painted with Vallejos Hull Red and washed with Nuln Oil.

Finished Me 262 A2a 'Sturmvogel'

Finished Me 262 A2a 'Sturmvogel'
Here we are, all done and ready. Not as good as I'd hope but a lot better than I expected. This is my second plane ever painted for Flames of War. The other is my IL-2 Shturmovik for the Soviets.

Please leave a comment or a thumbs up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visits